The hospital was built as an underground bunker in 1944, on the orders of the divisional staff of the XIVth Division of Slovenian partisan army, part of Yugoslav partisan forces. A place was chosen in Shohta forest where there was enough water and the place could be kept hidden in the winter months. A bunker for food was built nearby and an additional bunker for evacuation of the wounded was built near village Marija Dobje. The hospital accepted its first wounded in August 1944. During its operation, the hospital treated 124 wounded persons. It was found by the enemy in February 1945, but the wounded had been moved to a safe place in time.