The king of the Franks, Charlemagne, would have personally founded a friary convent in Müstair, trying to consolidate Christianity within the empire. The monastery was built around 775, a period in which Charles needed the convent as a point of support for his policy of expansion to the East. Shortly before the 800s, the convent church was decorated with a cycle of frescoes that illustrated the history of redemption with an uninterrupted series of paintings all around the walls. This treasure has allowed Müstair to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Around 1035 the northern Carolingian wing was replaced by an elegant Episcopal residence of the first Romanesque, which Bishop Egino donated in 1163 to the convent of recently settled nuns. Here, for over 1200 years, the small community of nuns dedicated themselves to prayer and work according to the rule of St. Benedict. Through a small door that communicates with the church it is possible to access the convent, starting from the cloister, whose eastern section, already during the Carolingian period, served as a corridor connecting the church and the living area. This wing was built in 1035 with the construction of the Episcopal residence in early Romanesque style: originally this space was used as an atrium and courtyard of honor in front of the church. Starting from the 6th century, the herb garden was created inside. The Benedictines practiced horticulture to guarantee an independent supply, but at the same time preserved the ancient phytotherapy and handed it down to the present day. Following the donation of this building to the nuns in the twelfth century, the cloister became the heart of the convent.