The king of the Franks, Charlemagne, would have personally founded a friary convent in Müstair, trying to consolidate Christianity within the empire. The monastery was built around 775, a period in which Charles needed the convent as a point of support for his policy of expansion to the East. Shortly before the 800s, the convent church was decorated with a cycle of frescoes that illustrated the history of redemption with an uninterrupted series of paintings all around the walls. This treasure has allowed Müstair to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Around 1035 the northern Carolingian wing was replaced by an elegant Episcopal residence of the first Romanesque, which Bishop Egino donated in 1163 to the convent of recently settled nuns. Here, for over 1200 years, the small community of nuns dedicated themselves to prayer and work according to the rule of St. Benedict.
Comment below to support the creator!