< img src="//bat.bing.com/action/0?ti=5858059&Ver=2" height="0" width="0" style="display:none; visibility: hidden;" />
637
Views
In 1895 the Birthplace Cottage was bought as a surprise 60th birthday present for Andrew Carnegie by his wife Louise and then let out to tenants. With the creation of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust (1903), a caretaker was installed and in 1908 the Cottage was opened to the public.

After the death of her husband (11 August 1919) Mrs. Carnegie proposed and funded the erection of a Memorial Treasure House adjoining the Birthplace.

Work began in 1925 on the design by architect James Shearer RSA and the linked buildings of the Cottage and Memorial Hall were formally opened on 28 June 1928
Comments
0/500
Comment below to support the creator!
More